Thursday, June 16, 2011

Laughter and tears


I’m always marveling at the flexibility of the human heart. I’m not talking about the organ that pumps blood through the body, but the ability for us to love. We have our hearts broken time and again yet somehow we always find a new source of love within us. Even in our grief of a broken heart we have the ability to smile and laugh and eventually we realize that what was broken is whole again, with a slight scar to remind us of the price of love.

It’s hard to remember, in the midst of sadness and grief, that we can heal and there will be happy times again. When tragedy strikes the future seems empty and all we have left are our memories. But what are memories but a reminder of what was once the future? Someday the tragedy we are dealing with today will be only a memory. There will be smiles again. There will be laughter again. There will be happiness again.

I’m writing this tonight as I deal with the death of my beloved dog, Daphne. At the same time I’m watching my baby boy, Fred chewing on his own ear. Tears and laughter at the same time. I mourn the loss of my little girl and smile at the antics of my little boy. It is this mixture of emotions tonight that inspired me to think and write about the ability of the human heart to love, be broken, heal, and love again.

My heart aches for Daphne, and takes joy in Fred.

Broken, yet healing, and someday to love again.

Amazing, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment