Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Patience (Not the Guns & Roses Song)


Patience – The quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like. An ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay. Quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence.

Why the definition of patience today? Because it is something I need to learn and practice.

I’ll admit I’ve had things pretty easy in life. In school all I had to do was the bare minimum to get good grades. Learning was easy and required really nothing more than reading, doing once, and absorbing a concept. It wasn’t that hard and I didn’t really have to put much effort into it.

Patience is something that is harder to learn. There is no book to read or exercises to practice to help me learn this concept. When I decide I want something I want it now. Waiting is not my strong point and I get frustrated when I don’t learn something right away. Don’t get me wrong, I’m Basset Hound stubborn and I won’t ever give up, but I think that frustration makes it more difficult for me to pick up on something that I don’t get the first time.

Hence, patience is the word of the day. It’s something I need to learn and practice.

I’m surrounded by a lot of patient people. At work, at home, at school, at the gym. Those are the people I need to learn from.  I admire them their ability to keep their frustration in check, their knowledge about when to keep going and when to sit back and wait, their ability to trust that what they want will eventually come.

So if you see me watching you, know that I am not trying to stare in a creepy way. I’m trying to learn patience and your example is the best way I know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment